The online versions of legislation provided on this website are not official. Enrolled bills are the final version passed by the Ohio General Assembly and presented to the Governor for signature. The official version of acts signed by the Governor are available from the Secretary of State's Office in the Continental Plaza, 180 East Broad St., Columbus.
(Amended Senate Bill Number 6)
To enact sections 3301.41 and 3301.42 of the Revised Code to establish the Partnership for Continued Learning to make recommendations for facilitating collaboration among providers of preschool through postsecondary education and for maintaining a high-quality workforce in Ohio.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Ohio:
That sections 3301.41 and 3301.42 of the Revised Code be enacted to read as follows:
Sec. 3301.41. (A) The partnership for continued learning is hereby established. The partnership shall consist of the following members:
(1) The governor;
(2) The superintendent of public instruction;
(3) The chancellor of the Ohio board of regents;
(4) The director of development;
(5) Three representatives of the private sector, appointed by the governor;
(6) Two representatives of organizations that have formed regional partnerships to foster collaboration among providers of preschool through postsecondary education, appointed by the governor;
(7) One member of the student access and success coordinating council of Ohio, appointed by the governor;
(8) Two representatives of elementary and secondary schools, one of whom shall be a member of the state board of education and one of whom shall represent chartered nonpublic schools, appointed by the governor;
(9) Two representatives of institutions of higher education, one of whom shall be a member of the Ohio board of regents and one of whom shall represent nonprofit institutions of higher education that hold certificates of authorization issued by the board of regents under section 1713.02 of the Revised Code, appointed by the governor;
(10) One member of the state workforce policy board prescribed by section 6301.04 of the Revised Code, appointed by the governor;
(11) The chairpersons and ranking minority members of the education committees of the senate and house of representatives.
(B) Appointed members of the partnership shall serve at the pleasure of the governor.
(C) The governor shall serve as chairperson of the partnership. The partnership shall meet at least quarterly and at other times upon the call of the chairperson to conduct its business.
Sec. 3301.42. The partnership for continued learning shall promote systemic approaches to education by supporting regional efforts to foster collaboration among providers of preschool through postsecondary education, identifying the workforce needs of private sector employers in the state, and making recommendations for facilitating collaboration among providers of preschool through postsecondary education and for maintaining a high-quality workforce in the state. Copies of the recommendations shall be provided to the governor, the president and minority leader of the senate, the speaker and minority leader of the house of representatives, the chairperson of the Ohio board of regents, and the president of the state board of education. The recommendations shall address at least the following issues:
(A) Expansion of access to preschool and other learning opportunities for children under five years old;
(B) Increasing opportunities for students to earn credit toward a degree from an institution of higher education while enrolled in high school;
(C) Expansion of access to workforce development programs administered by school districts, institutions of higher education, and other providers of career-technical education;
(D) Alignment of the statewide academic standards for grades nine through twelve adopted under section 3301.079 of the Revised Code, the Ohio graduation tests prescribed by division (B) of section 3301.0710 of the Revised Code, and the curriculum requirements for a high school diploma prescribed by section 3313.603 of the Revised Code with the expectations of employers and institutions of higher education regarding the knowledge and skills that high school graduates should attain prior to entering the workforce or enrolling in an institution of higher education;
(E) Improving the science and mathematics skills of students and employees to meet the needs of a knowledge-intensive economy;
(F) Reducing the number of students who need academic remediation after enrollment in an institution of higher education;
(G) Expansion of access programs and other strategies to overcome financial, cultural, and organizational barriers that prevent students from obtaining a postsecondary education;
(H) Alignment of teacher preparation programs approved by the state board of education pursuant to section 3319.23 of the Revised Code with the instructional needs and expectations of school districts;
(I) Strategies for retaining more graduates of Ohio institutions of higher education in the state and for attracting talented individuals from outside Ohio to work in the state;
(J) Strategies for promoting life-long continuing education as a component of maintaining a strong workforce and economy;
(K) Appropriate measures of the impact of statewide efforts to promote collaboration among providers of preschool through postsecondary education and to develop a high-quality workforce and strategies for collecting and sharing data relevant to such measures;
(L) Strategies for developing and improving opportunities and for removing barriers to achievement for children identified as gifted under Chapter 3324. of the Revised Code.
SECTION 2. Within thirty days after the effective date of this section, the Governor shall appoint members to the Partnership for Continued Learning pursuant to section 3301.41 of the Revised Code.